This camp cooker pumpkin pie is a simple and yummy treat to make while camping. With camping season upon us I thought that it was high time that I share one of our favorite pie iron pies. My boys are obsessed with pumpkin pie! Check out this recipe so that you can make this tasty camp cooker pumpkin pie while camping…
Making dessert in a camp cooker while camping is brilliant. It allows for the kids to make their own individual serving size over the campfire and keeps the mess to a minimum
My boys love the combination of flaky pastry, pie filling and whipping cream in this recipe. I love that its delicious but not fussy to create!
HOW TO MAKE CAMP COOKER PUMPKIN PIE:
- Purchase and pack pumpkin pie making ingredients.
2. Spray the inside of the camp cooker with non stick cooking spray. Open the tin of rolls, stretch and press a roll onto both sides of the iron.
3. Fill the dough with about 2 tablespoons of pie filling. Top with the second roll and close and latch the pie iron.
4. Cook over the fire for approximately 5 minutes per side.
5. Unlatch and check the pie for doneness frequently so that it does not burn. The pie is done when the dough is golden on the outside.
6. Top with whipping cream and serve. Whenever I pack whipping cream to take camping it does not last very long. Often this camp cooker dessert becomes more whipping cream than actual pie. And if I am being totally honest, the whipping cream doesn’t always even make it onto the pie but goes straight into the boys mouths.
We always have camp cookers packed in the travel trailer for camping. They are such a handy tool for making quick meals, snacks and desserts. We’ve even pulled them out to use at home on the deck with our propane fire pit. The kids love using camp cookers for dessert at home too!
MORE CAMP COOKING ESSENTIALS:
- Menu planning for camping is something that I always do to stay organized. Grab this free Meal Planner Printable to get started on your next trip.
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker (aff link) makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration! Or visit my how to use a pie iron post for tips.
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt.
Meal planning is essential whenever we go camping! This way most of the mess stays at home and we have delicious meals ready for our entire trip.
HERE ARE SOME OF OUR TIPS FOR CAMPING MEAL PLANNING:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers (aff link). These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of my favorites.
Article Courtesy of: https://homemadeheather.com/camp-cooker-pumpkin-pie/